Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgrma

Your ideas for this shady area

proudgrma
15 years ago

I want to design this small area which is full shade to light shade to full sun (from left to right) The deepest shade is in the corner where the wheelbarrel is. Approximate size is 10'X12'

Plants I have:

(3)Heuchera 'Purple Palace'

(1)White Bleeding Heart

Several varieties of Columbine

(3)Small Japanese Painted Fern

(5) Brunera 'Jack Frost', along cement patio edge in 2nd picture

Moving to the right into the sunshine are

(6)Several coreopsis moonbeam

(7)3 Daisy 'Rebecca'

(1)Phlox 'David'

The view from the house is from the sun to shade. I can figure out the sunny areas, but would like your suggestions for the shade.

I'm looking for your input for plants and placement in the shady areas. The fully shaded back corner needs height and interest against the cedar hedge. The only idea I've come up with is more Bleeding Heart. Any other ideas?

Comments (14)

• florrie2
    15 years ago

Hi Proudgma: No expert here, but I think you need something intermediate in height. You have the tall cedars then the short variety of plants. The area isn't really that dense shade, you could get by with "part shade" plants or shrubs there.

How about some yellow leaf shrub, like a golden spirea or fothergilla? It will light up the corner and provide foliage interest.

Then your smaller plants will be in the foreground.

Florrie

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Maybe add a couple hydrangea (hydrangea arborescens) for some mid-height?

I've also added some woodland sunflowers (helianthus divaricatus) for some middle height to my shady beds this year.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

Ligularia (the rocket) is supposed to get really big with yellow flowers in shade. I have just planted it this year, so time will tell.

• patchesandpeaches
    15 years ago

Astilbe is great! It likes moisture retentive soil, though, so if it gets dry in that area you will be watering a lot. Astilbe doesn't like to dry out. You can never have enough Astilbe.

Karen

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

Fox glove, jacobs ladder, are nice also. I have all the above and more, but then I have two acres of SHADE.

• proudgrma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I appreciate all your ideas. I'm very excited that I finally found an Oak Leaf Hydrangea 'Snowflake' which is a double bloomer. It'll go in the corner area. I've had a hard time finding it in my area, northern Michigan. I also bought some Jacob's Ladder, a fern called 'Frilly Tatting' and will look further at the woodland sunflowers and ligularia. Suddenly I have many plants, I hope I have room for all of them! Thanks again for your help!

• yhtak
    15 years ago

What do you think of a bird bath type fountain for a focal point in the center? The sound of water is always relaxing. And maybe a small seating area since you have the walkway in place.

• proudgrma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The idea of a small fountain is something I'm looking at. Now..just to find the right fountain, nothing too cutsie. Do you know of any online pictures or sources for small fountains?

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

They're only annuals in zone 5, but do plant some tuberous begonias. I put twelve of them in my window boxes and they're so gorgeous.

• nightingale612
    15 years ago

I am limited to deer-resistant plants, it looks like you don't have that problem based on the plants you alread have. I have liriope which is beautiful, brunnerra jack frost, many astilbe, bleeding hearts ( both dicentra and excima). I fell in love with the shrub leucothea at someone else's house but in my yard it's only doing so-so, I plan on watering it more often and mid-winter to see if that helps. My drawf mountain laurel is thriving, as well as my rhododendrons and azaleas but they need deer repellant spray often. Japanese painted fern and all the other ferns are beautiful, Christmas fern can take dry soil. Hostas are popular but I find them too common, nothing unique about them.
    Good luck!

• enjoy
    15 years ago

Just me, but I would add a lovely clump of serviceberry. Takes full sun or shade and iron hardy. white tiny flowers in spring, red berries last into fall and winter and the fall colour is stunning! THAT would make a focal point!

• flora2b
    15 years ago

The possibilities are endless...but I have a similar situation and used a variegated dogwood.
    {{gwi:1253810}}
    It might be too big, but something in that color range really lightens the shady area.
    Have fun,
    flora

• harold_sink
    15 years ago

I know this may be a little late, but asparagus fern would look nice in the areas that don't get direct sun. You could try candy tuft and bachelors buttons in the sunniest locations for brilliant color.

• greeness
    15 years ago

I like the idea of foxglove; if the shady area is big enough, you could also add a dwarf Japanese maple for height. Hostas are also good for foliage color and provide a good backdrop for flowering plants; th lime green varieties can really "pop" in your shadiest areas. I love astilbe, but have a heck of a time getting it grow out here--too arid.If you have good humidity, it's a great plant for shade. You could also fill in with impatiens and was leaf begonias as annuals.