Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple/red shrub for shade?

Posted by Rachel77 7 TX (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 05 at 19:00

Does anyone know if there are any purple or red shrubs for shady areas? I was thinking Physocarpus opulifolious 'Diablo' or Loropetalum...will they grow well in the shade?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple/red shrub for shade?

Also, would a barberry survive?

Thanks!

o

'Diabolo' ninebark will be green in anything less than full sun, though it will grow normaly.
The same will apply for the purple or yellow barberies.

In Japanese maples department you could find plenty of choices for short and tall, narrow or wide growing plants with red leaves.

o

Purple.reds are hard in shade. I don't know of any shrubs besides maples, which are small trees.

I use Heuchera and Cimicifuga for purple, but they aren't shrubs.

o

Thanks!!

o

Rachel,

There's a new hydrangea that's come out this year called 'lady in red' Maroon foliage and lacecap flowers. It's a little hard to find this year, but I'm guessing next year it will be a lot easier to find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady In Red Hydrangea

o

I am looking for a red/purple shrub for one of my gardens. I have only about 4 hrs. of morning sun. We are north of Boston, MA so can have some harsh winters. Anyone have suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here