Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new house, blank slate

Posted by chris_ont 5a Ont (My Page) on
Fri, May 19, 06 at 19:18

Hi
I just bought a cute little bungalow that has exactly zero plants. The grass is in good shape all around and there are no invasive weeds anywhere.
The front of the house faces north and, judging by the sparseness of the grass, doesn't get much direct sun.

I'm looking for ideas, both for plants (want something tall in the back - monkshood? solomon seal? and of course must have hosta) but also for hardscape ideas to raise things up a bit.
The stoop (see below) is cement and in good shape. I could easily wrap a bed around that. There is a cement walkway of sorts to the street.

Anything goes! I prefer funky and stylin' over cute and homey, but cottage gardens are super. I'm not married to that hedge next to the house and am thinking of removing it, or at least giving it a good haircut.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new house, blank slate

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Sat, May 20, 06 at 0:29

Oh fun! A garden makeover!

I see a meter on the front. You're probably going to have to leave it accessible which is going to cut down on the possibilities a fair bit. Although if it can be read from the porch...

If you prefer funky over cottage, go for a very limited colour palette. A lot of black and white contrasts would be neat. Heuchera 'Obsidian' and Brunnera 'Jack Frost immediately spring to mind. And then a single pot or plant of bright red impatiens somewhere (or brilliant colour of your choice) would have enormous visual impact.

As for hardscaping, leave room to expand the walkwayif you can't redo it now. Raised beds seem an obvious choice for your wrap-around bed. I'd suggest using concrete blocks, painting them white and capping them with black tiles. If you check the Small Spaces forum, somebody had something similar with terra cotta tiles on top. It looked really good.

I can't quite make out in the picture whether the house is black and white or brown and white. If you go the tile route, you'd want to coordinate everything.

I've got a bathroom I had done all in black and white and then I hung bright red curtains. It just sizzles. Wonderful space.

Hope this helps a bit.

Janet's Garden

o
RE: new house, blank slate

Wow, Janet, cool ideas.
The bottom part of the house is dark brown, as are the shutters. I like the idea of a limited color palette. The backyard is full blast sun for the most part so that's where I can do the cottage garden thing.
I could go here with cool-color hostas that bloom white, the solomon seal which is very 'architectural'. The dark heuchera also makes sense.
Man, I can't wait for moving day (unpacking can wait - let me at the garden!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here