Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental Grasses for Shade

Posted by hayisu 5a (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 19:25

My dad is interested in planting perennial ornamental grasses under a maple tree. I think Japanese forest grass might work, but I am not sure if they are hardy enough for a 5a zone. Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental Grasses for Shade

Grasses for shade include Hakonechloa macra aureola and other Hakone grasses, Chasmanthium latifolium, and to some extent, Calamagrostis brachytricha.
That said, it is very difficult to grow anything under a maple because the fibrous root system sucks up all nutrients and water. I once was able to get Liriope spicata (not L. muscari) established under a silver maple. I suggest your father try that.

o

I have a Hakonechola macra aka Japanese Forest Grass growing under my Maple. It is about 6-8 feet from the trunk. I am in Zone 5B. Your dad may also want to try Luzula. I also understand that Karl Forester is good for dry shade.

o

The Karl Foerster I see around town (near Boston) is either beautifully stiff and full (in full sun) or thin, with erectile dysfunction (in shade).

o

All kinds of Carexes will grow in a dry shade and be pretty much contained.
In wet shade they are invasive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here