Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cassieinmass

Any Ideas?

cassieinmass
14 years ago

I have a rock garden with a pile of rocks on top of a pile of old sod, under a huge maple tree that shades the rocks for most of the day. The landscapers were going to charge up a ton of money to take the rocks and old sod, so we decided to try and do something with them. I want to start a rock garden, but I honestly and clueless for a idea on what to grow in this, and what I should do. There is enough soil around and under the rocks I should be able to get something to grow. Im trying to get some herbs or something pretty. I dont think Hostas would fit in the rock area. Any other ideas? Would hens and chicks fit in there? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks everyone and have a great Mothers day!!! -Cassie

Comments (2)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

A true rock garden is generally in full sun but there's no reason why you can't modify the plantings to accomodate a shadier area. IME, hens and chicks will grow anywhere, inlcuding shade, so that's a good possibility. Other lower growing, spreading type shade plants will work also. I'd consider some of the very low campanulas (C. portenschlagiana, C. poscharskyana, etc.), woodland phlox or various shade loving groundcovers like Lamium or hardy ginger. Ferns would also work nicely.

• stranger
    14 years ago

There are many shade loving plants that will do well in a rock garden. I would certainly use one of the smaller hostas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Shade Gardening

Sponsored