Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmckemie_gw

Aucuba Japonica Variegated - yellowing leaves falling off

jmckemie
15 years ago

I have a couple of rows of these in a couple of different areas that seem to be well-established. They came with the house (bought three years ago) so I have no idea how old they are. Lately, the leaves have started to yellow and fall off. I don't remember this happening before, but I honestly have only started to pay attention to the yard and gardens as of this year.

One row is in the front yard in front of the house. Very shaded. The second row is in the back yard, another shaded area. Both rows have leaves that are turning completely yellow and falling off. What can be wrong? Thanks for any suggestions!

Jen

Comments (6)

• gardeningartist
    15 years ago

Mine do that just before putting on new leaves for the year.

• deadwest
    7 years ago

I have a mature (7 years) Aucuba doing the same thing. Leaves turn an even, creamy yellow and fall off. This is NOT normal shedding of old growth. My plant has now lost more than 50% of its leaves. It flowered in March, but the new leaf buds that appeared over a month ago have not changed in size and grown into new leaves. From everything I've read, these are not symptoms of root rot, or crown rot. Have searched for answers online, but there is nothing that mentions this. If anyone happens to read this and knows the cause of this, I'd be eternally grateful for a response.

• paula_stump
    6 years ago

I'm having the same problem with my mature, large plants... could they perhaps need some lime?

• deadwest
    6 years ago

Paula, sorry to hear. It's frustrating not being able to find out what the cause is. I've talked to two different garden centers and neither could give any help identifying the cause. It was suggested that I try a product called Superthrive. It's a vitamin and hormone supplement for plants, trees and grass. I bought it and went home and checked out the reviews on Amazon and was pleased to see over a 1000 mostly rave reviews. Many stories about bringing half dead plants back to life. I applied it yesterday and will update in a few weeks. As for lime, I don't know where you live, but it would be the kiss of death here in TX. We have high alkaline soil naturally and lime would only make it more so. If you can. post any updates if things change for the better or worse. Good luck!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

If you do any research on Superthirive at all, you will find just as many negative opinions as you will find positive, perhaps a good deal more!!. There is no documented scientific evidence - it is all anecdotal - that Superthrive provides ANY benefits to plants at all. Plants do not need vitamin supplements - they get all they need from the soil or in most cases, manufacture their own via photosynthesis. If for no other reason, supplements/fertilizers are never given to ailing plants as stressed plants are not able to metabolize these products. The "miraculous revival" of half dead plants attributed to Superthrive is more likely a case of them receiving a proper watering from the application, as the dilution rate is so low as to be providing virtually pure water anyway.

Aucuba is an extremely problem-free and easy to grow shrub....if given the right conditions. It is not particularly fussy about pH, so doubt any liming is necessary. It does best in part to full shade and in organically enriched, somewhat moist soils but is tolerant of much drier conditions once established.

The frequent, unseasonal dropping of foliage is most likely water-related. Too dry conditions in too much sun/heat are just as likely as too much water or poorly draining soils. This can lead to root rots - about the only serious problem these plants experience. And the description is very appropriate for a root rot......and all th applications of Superthrive on the planet will not help with that!!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional