Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgpaytas

Need Shrub Recs please

cgpaytas
13 years ago

We have a large front lawn, one side is a really busy street, but it's elevated so the front lawn sits about 5 ft above the sidewalk. Along this side we'd like to have a natural privacy barrier - no fences on the front lawn in our township.

Last year at this corner I put a Butterfly bush with a mix of hostas and daylillies at the base. This year we want to plant a long line off of this butterfly bush to provide this "natural" fence. But due to a large overhanging mulberry tree, this long line is in the shade 80% of the day. Part of this area gets early morning sun with the majority of the space getting late afternoon sun and some not getting any at all.

My goal is to have this natural fence be about 4-5 ft tall max and I like the idea of a bush/shrub instead of say an evergreen. I'd like it to be private but have some movement. I would love it to have color and I'm going to plant some daylillies in front as well. I have this bush and love it since once the leaves fall off in the fall, it's a beautiful red twig in the winter. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/shrubs/msg052347279326.html?10 but I don't think it would do well given the sun exposure.

Many thanks for any ideas and if I missed something that would be helpful, let me. TIA!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner