Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help-my evergreen trees are dying

Posted by saisson 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 27, 06 at 21:15

We're in a new home and spent quite a bit on landscaping.
Our backyard faces south and is in full shade. We wanted to block a large shed in the back and the landscaper suggested everygreens-Norway Spruce and White Pine. We did not know that evergreens required sun and the Spruces are dying but the pines are doing OK. I'm afraid of replacing the spruces with pines as I thought that pines required sun as well
We need a screen of at least 15 ft in order to block the shed-preferably year round. Will Canadian Hemlock thrive in full shade?

Are landscaper suggested the following choices:

Some possible options that can be used in the back border would be
Witchhazel, Blackhaw Viburnum, Serviceberry and Cornelian Cherry Dogwood.
The plants all grow to around 10-12' at maturity and are multi-stem.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help-my evergreen trees are dying

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Mon, May 29, 06 at 21:54

Saisson, you should ask for some kind of rebate from your landscaper for such an amateur mistake!

White pines grow to be rather large mature trees. I have one growing just outside my back fence and it's about 3 stories high and has a diameter much bigger than my admittedly tiny back yard. I don't know if it can be kept in check by pruning but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a hedge-like planting. I can't claim any expertise on the matter.

I hope you are taking advice from a different landscaper now, at least.

I would also suggest taking your question to the Trees or Shrubs forums. Perhaps you will get more responses that way. You could also try checking out the nearest Arboretum for expert advice.

Janet's Garden Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here