Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramazz_gw

What a mess!

ramazz
14 years ago

I would not post this if my daughter and son-in-law were members of GW. They recently purchased a house in northern VA and I went up this weekend to help plant some of my extras from wintersowing. They had no flowers anywhere, and in the backyard, they have a muddy mess. Part of it is wooded and most of the rest is shaded from trees on the adjacent lot. Lots of tree roots, areas where the soil is a combination of clay and rocks, and very little sun anywhere. The previous owner had not planted anything. We put some plants in the front that hopefully will survive, but other than the astilbe, columbines and daffodils that I brought, I did not feel good about anything we put in the back. I was desperately looking for any tiny patch of sun, and because everything I brought was looking for a home, we put in some echinaceas, iris, rudbeckias and gaillardias in the best areas. They don't want ivy (no problem there) but it would be nice to see some kind of ground cover. Is there a grass that will tolerate these conditions, or some kind of ground cover that will grow and also tolerate two dogs romping about? All suggestions welcome as long as they don't require major $$$.

Becky

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor