Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vine to climb over arch in partial shade

Posted by little_ebe 15/CA (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 21:45

The front of the garden gets some sun but the arch is up against the house and gets very little. It is not dark, however. I have a clematis that grows up a trellis right next to it. Slow and not lots of flowers but it gets there. I would love to have a clematis...any ideas?

THANKS,
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vine to climb over arch in partial shade

Your climate is very different than mine but Honeysuckle and clematis do good for me in Pa zone 6. Most of mine are in a good bit of shade. They get lots of moisture here, I don't know if the area in CA that you are in is moist or dry.

o
RE: vine to climb over arch in partial shade

I like experimenting with some of the var. of morning glories. They do well for me in a fair bit of shade. Sunrise Serenade is a double red and it is a much less aggressive grower than the wild morning glories. New this year, I have Cameo Elegance on a part shade trellis. It has a beautiful variegated leaf and a magenta colored bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here