Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
von1_gw

epimediums

von1
18 years ago

A while back I suggested epimedium for dry shade. Here are some pics of mine this spring.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (13)

• karinl
    18 years ago

Which epimedium is this?

• pauhaus
    18 years ago

Beautiful! Looks like Lilafee...?

• von1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI
    THAT IS EPIMEDIUM GRANDIFOLIUM VIOLACEUM #890001. I ORDERED IT FROM GARDEN VISIONS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. I ALSO GOT PRINCESS SUSAN. IN THIS PICTURE THE PETALS AREN'T OPEN ALL THE WAY.

• von1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF PICTURES OF MARS. IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO TWO.

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

Epimedium has been on my wishlist for a looong time. I FINALLY found some locally for the first time this year and I didn't buy it! : ( I wasn't sure it was the kind I wanted and it was pricey. I do still want some badly and came across this post when I was researching different kinds. Loved your pics von1!
    I need to reorganize my shade garden so that the drought tolerant stuff is separate from my water hogs. I have lots of helleborus foetidus and variegated Solomon's seal and a few helleborus hybrids. They're my most drought tolerant plants in my shade garden and I want to plant some epimedium with those. The h. foetidus has dark green foliage so I thought something lighter might look good around it. I like the photo of 'Mars'. Does it have the darker edge through most of the summer? Are the leaves sort of light green? That might be a nice contrast. I wonder if they're are any silvery epimediums. oooohh
    Plant Delights has a bunch of different epimediums. It makes it hard to decide. I don't really want to start a collection. : )
    I looked for a website for Garden Visions and couldn't find one.

• von1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is the website for darrell probst who is the epimedium expert.

Here is a link that might be useful: epimedium king

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

Thank you Von1. It would be nice to visit his garden and then decide which ones I like best. lol

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I have been good friends with Darrell for years (his mother-in-law is my neighbor) and have visited he and his wife Karen several times. Up to now I have over 30 different ones with some more due in a month or so for Fall delivery. I have never lost a plant from his garden. My favorite for long bloom and grace is E. stellulatum but for color, you can't beat E. grandiflorum "Yubae" which is dark like "Mars". E davidii is a long-blooming yellow flowered species. I'm getting more every year as they seem indestructible.

George

• charlottev
    18 years ago

I had no idea there were so many!!! I only have three, Rubrum, E. Younganium and a yellow one, which I don't know the name of. Mine are getting so large, I have started to divide them and I now have patches elsewhere. I even followed the advice of experts this year and as soon as the flower stalks started to appear, I cut off all the leaves. The flowers were even more spectacular and the leaves came again too.

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

I looked up the ones you mentioned George. Thanks! Did you mean the leaves are dark on Yubae or the flowers? I liked the pink flowers on that one - very pretty. I usually don't care much for yellow flowers but might give in if it's soft yellow. Honestly - I like foliage plants. Is it something you would buy just for the leaves or are they not that exciting. Some of the photos I have seen had interesting leaves but I don't know if they look like that all season or just for a short time.
    Maybe they're more common in some states but I have only found some once for sale here. Wish they were easier to find. Is it possible that they don't do well here and that's why I don't see them or is it just unusual?

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Christie,

In Yubae the flowers are a very dark rose/magenta like Mars.

Many of the epis have gorgeous foliage in spring and many also have dark bronzed patterned foliage through winter and on all new leaves. Very few keep dark leaves through the summer. Epis are mostly grown for the foliage rather than the bloom, but established clumps (3 years and up) of stellulatum, or davidii and many others, will bloom for 4-6 weeks and will give further sporadic flowers throughout the summer. Stellulatum flowers are small, only about 1/2 inch and white with yellow centers, but dance above the plant in hundreds like stars (hence the name). For groundcover and foliage use, choose the socalled 'evergreen' leaved ones as these are the ones for winter interest as well.

Most people prefer the ones with rounder, smooth-edged leaves, but my personal passion is for those with long angular leaves having agressive looking spiny edges.

George

• jeanerz13
    10 years ago

Just how much shade do epimediums need? I have a flowerbed on the east side of my house that is fully shaded by about 2pm. However, there is a tree nearby that I think may provide some dappled shade until 2pm to the corner where I would like to place an epimedium.

• agardenstateof_mind
    10 years ago

They mostly need protection from strong afternoon sun, so if you can give them morning sun, with dappled to full shade from about noon on, they should be happy. The ones in my garden get full sun until approximately 11am, then some dappled shade the rest of the day. They are growing in a sandy, well-drained soil amended with composted shredded oak leaves.

Sponsored