Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

purple annual for shade in NJ (not impatients)

lmgch
9 years ago

we are in phase two of relandscaping our property. last year we worked on shrubbery and this year i want to start adding flowers/color.

i'm stumped by my options for around the base of our cherry tree, right off our front walkway. since it's right at the front of our home, i obviously want it to be lovely! it's a shady area and the colors i would like to use are whites and darker purples (but not too dark b/c I think too dark could get lost in the shade).

Our landscape is recommencing a circle of white Astilbe and then some sort of lower-growing purple annual to put in front of the Astilbe, however, she says she's not sure what will do well in the shade - she doesn't usually work with annuals all that often, but says that she isn't thinking of any perennials that meet the desired description.

so, any suggestions? my "ideal" option would flower spring through fall with darker purple or blue-ish flowers. will be shade loving, "deer resistant" (for whatever that's worth) and work in the climate of Essex county NJ. I do not like impatients.

thank you for any help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored