Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade question / Help

Posted by echoes_or Zone 3 (My Page) on
Sat, May 13, 06 at 22:48

I'm in zone 3 and not sure if elevation makes any difference except with extreme heat differences night to day. But I'm at 4600 feet so my temps can flucuate anywhere between 40-60 degrees during the summer months.. I have an area along my garage that doesn't get much if any sun - if any very weak sun - no heat. It's on the north side and is the last place to thaw in the spring. The eastern edge is more dry soil while the western half of the bed is moist. I have planted bleeding hearts and they lasted a couple of years but at this point are gone. Lung Wort is fine, Columbines do good, I planted a couple of Lady Ferns and so far they are not showing this year. Sweet Woodruff grows very well ie to well.. HAHA

I want plants that bloom throughout the summer time and I really don't want just annuals because that brings out my cheap side.. Plant once for ongoing blooms etc...

Any ideas on what I can add here, got one Hosta that I'm going to try out but after the Columbines I just have greenery and no blooms.

Help and thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade question / Help

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Thu, May 18, 06 at 15:00

That's kind of hard. Long-blooming shade perennials that will take zone 3. Rozanne geranium might work, if she's hardy to zone 3. Not sure. She comes back for me in Zone 4a though. Some of the other hardy geraniums would undoubtedly work.

You could also try Impatiens balsamina. It is an annual, but it will tolerate quite a bit of shade and you can easily save seed for next year, so it should satisfy the frugal side of you. They will even self-seed a bit, if conditions are right.

Dicentra eximia has a long bloom period, again, you'll have to check for hardiness.

With most perennials, you have to plant for succession of bloom. Few of them will bloom all season, especially not in shade. I can think of several, but they're all full sun lovers.

Janet's Garden Blog

o
RE: Shade question / Help

I think that Aconitums are hardy to Zone 3 and there are several species and cultivars, some bloom in summer and some later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here