Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epimedium 'Lilafee’ how fast does it spread?

Posted by reddbuffalo Zone 7 DC (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 05 at 22:58

Hi.. I just purchased 4 Epimedium "Lilafee’ and planted them and am wondering, as they are known as "spreading," how long they actually take to spread! I planted them about 15" apart and wondering how long it might take (I understand it can vary depending on conditions!) to spread! thanks so much for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epimedium 'Lilafee’ how fast does it spread?

• Posted by von1 z4 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 05 at 17:45

Garden Visions lists Lilafee and a clump forming varitey.

o

Mon, May 16, 05 at 19:21

HERE IS MY LILAFEE. ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD.

Here is a link that might be useful: LILAFEE

o

wow, clumping, spreading.. i just am not sure where to get accurate info!! do you know which epimedium spreads "fairly" quickly???? grrrrrrrrrr. so frustrating! Oh the other hand, Von1, your picture is lovely! it's a pretty plant, but i was a pretty spreading plant!! : ) thanks you guys!!

o

Mon, May 16, 05 at 22:15

Look up Garden Visions,Hubbarston, MA, Darrell Probst on the internet. His catalogue will tell you the varities that spread and how much they spread per year. Epiemdium Versicolor is one that spreads 4 to 5 inches per year, but can you find it anywhere around is another question. I have ordered from this catalogue and lost only one out of 17 and that was my fault cause I moved it when it was to hot and dry.

o

I have 2 Lilafee and would say they spread at a rate of about 2-3 inches a year. What I love is how they hold their flowers up above the foliage.

o

von, I didn't get a picture with your posting saying here is mine at three years. Where should it have been? I linked to a pic at the suggested link, but was that yours? At your website, no pic. kamala

o

Here in Chicagoland, Lilafee's rate is glacial.

o

Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 8:13

Here it is another way. Kind of hard to judge the size.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Hi reddbuffalo,

I have Epimedium perralchicum and it is a fairly fast spreader for me.

A......

o

I looked up some more Epimediums with creeping rhizomes for you, besides the one I mentioned before there is E. alpinum, E. perralderianum, E. pinnatum, E. sempervirens and E. x warleyense. Hope this helps.

A......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here