Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Anyone know about growing native Rhododendrons/catawbiense & max.

njbiology
17 years ago

Hi,

On my friend's properts in P.A. he has growing wild Rhododendrons (R. Maximus, white flowers; and R. Catawbiense, pink flowers). I live in New Jersey and I have some shadey, moist ground area that I would like to plant these in. Will they do will if I put them in clay based soil, shaded?

Any tips?

Thanks,

Steven

Comments (6)

• lynneomalley
    17 years ago

I have been blessed with several 12-15 foot R. Catawbienses. The Northside is the best looking one I have. I do have some clay in my soil but also have plenty of humus. Maybe try to loam up the clay based soil a bit with a combo of peatmoss and manure.

It took me several years to figuure out that my Rodies were Catabiense. They bloomed so much later than most Rodies in this area but grand non the less. Enjoy!!! Don't forget the coffee grounds!!!

• njbiology
    Original Author
    17 years ago

what about coffee grounds?

• lynneomalley
    17 years ago

coffee grounds are an excellent source of acid for the rody's.

• Allshade
    17 years ago

I planted an r. maximus two years ago in full shade and slightly amended clay (added good composted mulch and a cup of holly-tone). It doesn't look very good, actually, no blooms yet, though I see buds on it this spring; seems a lot more straggly than when it was planted and I don't see any growth. I bought a bigger specimen than I usually do, maybe 3x3' when it was planted. I also should have loosened up the soil to about 12", and didn't; it was at the very end of the bed and I think I had run out of steam by then.

There are existing rhodes in the area, very large old pink rhodes, around 10'+, so I probably should have tried to get the same thing. Maybe catawbiense?

• twiz
    17 years ago

Back to the coffee grounds... how much, and how to apply? Around the base? Around the drip line? Mixed in at planting? I can see me wandering out to the garden every morning after coffee with my grounds in tow.....

Lots of rhodies here. Some very lush, others I would like to help along.

Another question... I have been deadheading blooms after they flower and get great new growth and lots of buds, but I would like to get them to be a bit more dense. How to prune and when? Are they just not getting enough light?

Thanks -

• lynneomalley
    17 years ago

I collect my coffee grounds in a containerr until it was full, then wander out into your garden and place the coffee grounds around the base. shake a little here and there. don't think too much about it. it's just some acid. Keep it on the surface nature will take care of the rest unless it looks unseemly to you then dig around and incorporate them ino the soil. I don't use bleached coffee filters so I also include those. think of it as mulch! :)

denseness is a much wanted dream when it comes to the rhods. Like I said eairler, mine were already 10+ feet in height and a bit lanky. I just started cropping off some of the height. I like a more natural sprawling to them and if you leave the lower branches they will root themsleves into the soil. If you want a more detailed trimming and pruning guide you'll need to search it out on google. This is another good year for blooms for th Cats. It seems to go in cycles on the blooms. But all blooms are welcome when you have full shade right? Enjoy your blooms!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Merelyhere Yarden zone 5a

Sponsored