Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Suggestions for something to grow on dry/rooty soil?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

I know this question or one like it has probably been posted before.... but I have the most AWFUL large patch in one part of my shade.... stuff DOES NOT like to grow in it.... it is dry and very compacted with roots..... (maples) it also has wild cherries overhead whose pits fall on the ground (and stay there!!) they don't seem to decompose and make this dry rocky (pitty) soil. I just want SOMETHING there..... it is so yucky to look at.... just dirt and a few surface roots and cherry pits! Any suggestions? For something decorative (native or otherwise) that would thrive and spread? The shade itself is also pretty deep little to no sunlight....

Comments (6)

• susan6
    18 years ago

Well, I just gave a talk today about groundcovers and showed several thugs. One of them will, indeed, grow in this type of situation...lamium archangel or Herman's Pride. Other lamiums will, too. I stuck some Silver Beacon in around some maple roots without amending the soil at all and it has spread nicely. I do water it some during droughty periods, but just enough to keep it from dying. The Herman's Pride is pernicious if it gets moisture or good soil so you don't want to let it loose in the woods, lawn, etc.

• thistle
    18 years ago

I have two HUUGE!!! Norway maples at the back of my garden which soak up every drop of moisture I give the garden.However I have managed to develop really nice shade beds underneath them. I grow the dreaded variagated Goutweed which is beautifull and has never gone beyond the perimeter I planted it in,probably because of the dryness.I also have Pachysandra, Lamium,Pulmonaria,Sweet Woodruff and Periwinkle in the same beds.I sink large pots into the ground and plant them with impatients or begonias for colour.They look full and lush and I get compliments all the time.My husband laid some soaker hose in the beds so that I can deep water every now and then.With this and lots of compost they are thriving.I hope this gives you some encouragement. Good Luck.

• catbird
    18 years ago

I have several varieties of epimedium growing under my maple tree and I love it. It has pretty flowers in the spring and nice heart-shaped leaves.

• koby
    18 years ago

a low growing sedum, maybe sedum acre

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I second catbird on the epimedium. Just started growing them this summer. They take DRY shade, I'm told, and so far, the one I bought is faring well. If nothing else, you can always grow mint! LOL. Also, I have variegated gold and green ivy. It's not as invasive as the common ivy. Also, liriope, which comes in the regular green, green & gold, and green & white. The regular green is much more invasive than the varigated ones. None of these plants mind the tree roots. I have dry shade and tons of trees all around the perimeter of my yard. If you want, you can also grow moneywort, chameleon plant (invasive nature), and most ferns don't mind tree roots either. That is where they mostly grow naturally is under the canopy of trees. A truly pretty one is the Japanese Painted fern.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Susan

• eibren
    18 years ago

Hellebores would probably do well there if you give them some compost and mulch them; they will need adequate watering until established.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994