Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnorman_gw

Help! Where do I start?

tnorman
14 years ago

Hi - I'm working on plans for a shade garden in an area I've given up on growing grass. I'm doing lots of reading on plants, etc. and getting some good ideas.

My questions are pretty pathetic:

what is the best way to clear the area of the grass that is growing? Do I dig it up and transplant? Kill it off?

I'm planning on adding more dirt to the area to build it up, should I also add some type of compost to that soil?

Thanks for helping this new gardner!

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Depending on how much grass you have to remove, I'd suggest digging it up. I would not bother transplanting unless it is good grass AND you have a place that needs it.

Yes, also add compost, the more organic material the better. Topdress with a good organic mulch when you're done as well.

Watch the area over a day's time and take note of just how shady it is (check every hour and make a sun if it is getting direct, filtered or no sun). That may be helpful when choosing plants.

• tnorman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks esh ga. So appreciate the guidance! I am planning to order some fill dirt after I get the grass cleared. What ratio of dirt to compost would you recommend and is there any specific type of compost you would recommend. I saw cow manure at Home Depot. Would that be on target?

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Ratio of compost to dirt might be 20%. Could do less.

Not everyone likes cow manure, but I have used it. It's cheaper than the mushroom compost and that's why I use it. But if you are mixing it in with a lot of dirt, I'd say it is ok.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Digging grass is hard work. What I would do is map out the area you want and kill all the grass and weeds with round-up. Then dig it or roto-till it. You can rent a tiller from home depot for about $100 a day.

What is the soil like? Is it clay? If it is then add a couple of bags of the cheap non-clumping kitty litter. It is made of baked clay and gets in between the particles of clay and keeps them from clumping. Then add soil and the rest.
    I found a new product here in ontario, but it comes from Quebec. It is composted manure. I top dressed all my beds with it this year. It doesn't burn like regular manure and my plants seem to be thriving in it. If you do use regular manure mix it well with the soil. You could add some peat moss too but on go on the light side with it.

Monitor the sun. Is it solid shade or dappled shade. If you have at least 6 hours of sunlight it is considered part shade and there are a multitude of plants you could use. Even if it only gets about 4 hours and the rest is dappled shade those part shade plants would work.

• tnorman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again, Esh ga. Oilpainter - I am in Michigan and there is clay. Kitty litter, eh? We are looking at full all day shade in this area. My husband just came home tonight with a new "miracle" grass seed. He really wants to avoid another garden. I've agreed to give it one more go and if no success by fall, that will be a perfect time to plant and will give me the summer to plan (how's that for optimism?)

Many many thanks!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I am in Virginia and our yard is all marine clay. Terrible! We use what they call soil conditioner to amend when we plant and then we also work in organic material every year. I use the pine fines mulch because it breaks down quickly (as does leaf mulch) and will help the soil. I would love to hear how adding kitty litter (clay) helps break down clay-never heard that before. Also, a good way to kill grass if you have the time is to lay down newspaper(the black/white pages only) and mulch over it. Safe and cheaper than chemicals. My wonderful shade garden has astilbe, laurel, azaleas, hosta, ferns, etc. It was looking great until one of our oaks died and had to be taken down. Now, more sun and many plants disturbed by the tree removal process. Oh well. Anyway, if you plant mostly shrubs and perennials, your husband won't have to mow as much, so he may end up liking it! Mine does. best of luck!

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

cyn 427---Kitty litter does not break down clay. What it does is make the clay work. It keeps it from clumping because it gets in between the particles of clay. It also helps with drainage because it keeps the clay loose. It is no substitute for building up the soil with compost and such but it helps.

I first heard this on Ken Beatie's gardening show. He recommended it over mixing in coarse sand to help with soil drainage. Since our house was built on a top soil stripped lot we had nothing but clay so I tried it and it did help. I now have very good soil but the clay is there underneath

Sponsored