Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
perrennial plants for sandy acid soil in partial shade

Posted by marcincon z5/6 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 7:45

Living near the Cape Cod area in MA, I have sandy soil with lots of pine trees in an area that gets very little sun - only gets sun around mid-day. Pine needles do cover the area but it is easy to get rid of. I have tiger lilies that grow great but the deer eat them so i need something that deer won't eat. Plus I want perennial plants that come back every year. It's a long area approx. 100 feet long by 15 feet wide. There is a swamp azalea bush nearby that does great but i find it boring to look at. The reason for this bush is that at the bottom of the hill is clay soil but i'm not interested in any plants for that area. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: perrennial plants for sandy acid soil in partial shade

I would think you could grow hydrangeas, because I've seen many on Cape Cod, but they have so many new, great varieties. Also, you can grow the vining one, lace caps, mop heads, and many more. Acid soil will make those beautiful blue blooms that we struggle for in Oklahoma. When I saw your post read "sandy, acid soil", I almost KNEW you were in Massachusetts. Also the azaleas come in such wonderful colors, too. But, it is a short bloom period for us, don't know about you. I would google "acid loving plants" and see what you come up with.

What a wonderful place to live - love the Cape.

Susan

o
RE: perrennial plants for sandy acid soil in partial shade

Hi,I, too, live on the Cape and have sandy soil in very heavy shade. My shade is caused by maples, elms and pine. I have planted several varieties of hydrangas, summer sweet shrub, goat's beard, tirella, columbine, bleeding heart, spirea, astillbe, and of course hostas. Dig hole, place plant and fill with peat and a little of your sandy soil. Many of these plants prefer damp soil, but this garden is 3 years old and requires watering once a week for 1 1/2 hours.I would also suggest adding water retention pellets, found in all garden supply places. Good luck. trial and error is best method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here