Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikemanswife

Zone 5 shade plants

Alice Johannen
18 years ago

I have a garden on the side strip of my house that was completely dug out due to a sewer hook-up last fall. Being dug up was a GOOD thing, by the way, because it was a total, total mess. A jumple of overgrown plants and weeds, it had gone to pot and needed some TLC.

So now, I would like to create a new and wonderful shade garden, perhaps with a path meandering through (so I can get from the front to the back of the house, and ALSO so I can be in there to keep it under control). Here are a couple of pictures:

The whole side (see shade back behind the blooming kousa dogwood):

From the front looking back-

From the back looking front:

I have a few hostas (one Hosta Elegans, others unknown, rescued from a friend), I also have rhodies, mountain laurel, fern, some day lilies that have encroached from the back garden, and a korean azalea. I'm wondering what else to choose, and how to go about planning this garden. My other gardens, mind you, have tons of self-seeding, creeping, otherwise take-over-the-world plants, so I would really like this garden to not do that!

My research shows I could consider astilbe, brunnera, solomon's seal, heuchera, hydrangea, campanula persicifolia (? though some sites say it's a sun-lover) ... I'd prefer plants that grow in clumps instead of "fields" if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions? I do so appreciate your help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery