Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 5 shade plants

Posted by AlicePalace z5 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 9:55

I have a garden on the side strip of my house that was completely dug out due to a sewer hook-up last fall. Being dug up was a GOOD thing, by the way, because it was a total, total mess. A jumple of overgrown plants and weeds, it had gone to pot and needed some TLC.

So now, I would like to create a new and wonderful shade garden, perhaps with a path meandering through (so I can get from the front to the back of the house, and ALSO so I can be in there to keep it under control). Here are a couple of pictures:

The whole side (see shade back behind the blooming kousa dogwood):
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

From the front looking back-

From the back looking front:

I have a few hostas (one Hosta Elegans, others unknown, rescued from a friend), I also have rhodies, mountain laurel, fern, some day lilies that have encroached from the back garden, and a korean azalea. I'm wondering what else to choose, and how to go about planning this garden. My other gardens, mind you, have tons of self-seeding, creeping, otherwise take-over-the-world plants, so I would really like this garden to not do that!

My research shows I could consider astilbe, brunnera, solomon's seal, heuchera, hydrangea, campanula persicifolia (? though some sites say it's a sun-lover) ... I'd prefer plants that grow in clumps instead of "fields" if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions? I do so appreciate your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 5 shade plants

I think your choices sound good - heuchera aside, not one of MY favorites, I don't find it very long lived in my garden - I grow c.persicifolia, but find in deeper shade c.lactifolia does better. Solomon's Seal is beautiful, but will spread even in dry shade, so I keep it in a separate area in my garden to contain it. Very beautiful, though. There are many beautiful dicentra (bleeding heart), Langtrees, Stuart Boothman & King of Hearts do well for me. Pulmonaria is almost the first plant that blooms here in the spring, and flowers for around 2 months or more, also has beautiful foliage the rest of the year. Don't forget hardy geraniums. Here's a link to my website, and you can see pictures of some of these plants from my own garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening in the Shade

o

Love your site, Heather! And thanks for the advice. I will check it all out, of course.

I should have said that my shade is very wet. VERY wet. Not exactly a bog, but I don't think it ever dries out over there. So I'll need things that can tolerate wet feet. Hopefully some of the suggested plants can!

o

Astilbe I've heard does fantastic in wet shade.. I've read they get much larger and flower well in those conditions. I should try some at work.. similar conditions! I LOVE your spot by the way, Such a nice place for a quiet little shade garden with a path from one end of the house to the other. My shade garden is also on the side of the house, but it's very wide.. really a side yard over there. Hard to fill it up with the lush shady garden I imagine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here