Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low growing cascading / mounding plants for shade

Posted by organicshadegardener 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 26, 06 at 10:15

Hi all, We have a deep shade garden, under a pine tree that is held off of the sidewalk by wooden railroad ties. I would like to put something there that will "cascade" or mound over the ties to soften up the edges a bit. Hopefully something that looks soft and has some interest like varigated foliage, interesting foliage, and or flowers.

Any ideas? Right now we just have some hosta varieties in there, but those can always be moved. There is some english ivy in there as well, but it doesn't really cascade or soften the edges.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low growing cascading / mounding plants for shade

Or one of the lamiums, like "White Nancy" or "Herman's Pride." Maybe a Hakone grass, though I'm not sure if your area is too shady or not. Hakone needs some sun.

o
On second thought

I wanted to add geranium macrorhizziun (sp) or maculatum. These do well in shade, smell great, spread easily, and are not invasive. Or check out the tiarella cordifolias too.

o
RE: Low growing cascading / mounding plants for shade

Native wild geraniums work for me.
FYI, the english ivy is likely to fill in more than you bargained for if you do not actively keep it in check. Blood roots are nice for shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here