Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What grows well under an oak tree?

Posted by Orchidllauraga 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 10:20

In the middle of our front yard is about a 12 y/o oak tree. Both the tree and the house are South facing. The soil is poor to say the least. I have decided to quit with the shade loving grass seed and go with plants.with stepping stones leading to the tree. I would like for the plants to start out smaller and get larger as we get closer to the trunk.

So if you were in my yard, how would you start????

PS I am a newbie at starting something this big, but I do have my son, & husband to help me...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What grows well under an oak tree?

What are the water requirements for your oak? If it does not need extra water, putting plants which need water could cause trouble for the tree. In my area, we are told not to water the oaks in our yards.

Also, what about the tree roots? If you cultivate and dig there, might you damage the roots?

Maybe someone else here can help more, or ask at your local nursery (not HD).

o

oops double post

This post was edited by socks12345 on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 20:35

o

socks it really would not hurt our feelings if the tree were to rot and die. The previous owners let it get too big for the yard. To be frank, we don't have the money to get it cut down and the stump ground out...We have a crepe myrtle that is right up against the house that needs to go as well. It is just too close to the foundation..

o

• Posted by arcy MN 3/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 11:26

A lot of things do..ferns, hosta, Solomon seal, impatiens, Jacob's ladder,

o

• Posted by arcy MN 3/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 11:28

A lot of things do..ferns, hosta, Solomon seal, impatiens, Jacob's ladder,

o

• Posted by arcy mn (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 11:31

Here you can see astilbe, primrose, several ferns....
I have two acres of oak trees. If it grows in the shade it will grow under oaks.

o

A picture of the area you are discussing would be really helpful. A 12 year-old oak is an infant, in oak life spans. Whatever size it is now, it will continue to grow well after we are all dead and buried. I would plan on increasing shade and heavy leaf fall every year. On the other hand, trees are a fantastic investment in the future, if used appropriately. They provide shade and wind block as well as support wildlife. They also help decrease the CO2 in our atmosphere. If the tree is truly too large for the site already, you'd be far better off getting rid of it sooner than later. If you choose to keep it, decide what style of yard you want to shoot for and see if you can post a picture so we can be more specific in our suggestions.

Martha

o

as Arcy has indicated, anything and everything (good that is) will grow under oaks. Btw, that 12 y.o. oak is a baby.

This pic link is just part of my garden growing in a grove of 60' oaks which are anywhere from 80-113 y.o. (I know as I counted the rings on a huge red oak that I had to have cut down after losing a good part of it in a storm 6/26/08). They're thriving in oak litter and beautiful sandy loam.

This post was edited by birdsong72 on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 7:37

o

Here's a shot from the roof of my ranch (I was clearing gutters that day) of the pathway from the north garden to where it spills into the back yard - Spent a couple of hours there that day as warblers were all over the place and I just 'hung out with them' :-)

If you click on my pic, it will 'right itself', thus avoiding a stiff neck.

This post was edited by birdsong72 on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 8:01

o

Oh man, I would love an Oak tree in my garden. We lost the trees in front of our house. Now my shaded garden is in full sun. My hosta, bleeding heart, Mertensia verginica, Solomon's Seals, Heuchera, ajuga, Phlox paniculata, epimedium, Brunnera, wild ginger, and Mayapple are suffering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here