Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woost2

Ideas for a space that will be completely neglected

woost2
13 years ago

Sad, but true. It's a summer cottage in southeastern WI shared by three families of first cousins. I'm here in June and do all the garden clean up and tending. When I leave, the July and August cousins do nothing. Surprisingly, we have some pretty foolproof sunny/partial garden spots (thank you, hollyhocks, boxwood and hydrangea!). I'm back again in the fall.

The shady spot is on the east side of the house, surrounded by 2 story house on the north and west sides, a garage on the south side and the neighbor's house and lattice fence on the east. It gets some morning sun and gets blasting hot in the summer, due I think to no air movement. About 30 x 10 feet.

Currently it is a wild mess of dames rocket, runaway campanula, some other tall thing (possibly garden phlox run wild), periwinkle, hostas, snow on the mountain (which I'm stunned to discover some nursery is selling for $20 a pot!!!!), some volunteer trees (poplar, ash, maple which are cut back to the ground every year, but of course spring back), one poor rose bush, a bit of milkweed and some cool season grass.

I have access to some stones and compost, so could start creating some actual beds. My inclination is to start clearing the area by the lattice and the garage. Is there any shade tolerating thing that would like to climb?

Any ideas happily considered! Many thanks.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath