Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

those smaller ligulariasa

I am looking for a shade perennial that has some snap in terms of flower colour (and yellow is so 'snappy' in the shade).

I am thinking "Ligularia" but because of the space I have in mind I am searching out the more compact versions of this plant. I see there is "Little Rocket" and a possibly an even (slightly?) shorter offering than this called "Bottle Rocket".

Firstly for those of you with "Ligularias" what do you think of this plant overall?

How much shade can it take and still give those beautiful yellow spear like flowers? (I do know it prefers a moist location).

And have any of you had experience with these two specific varieties? Are they noticeably less tall than other traditional "Ligs"?

Thank you for your experiences

Comments (4)

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

My mom grows them and they seem to get most height when in full sun. They require constant watering in the sun then, and the height difference is not that significant. That's all I know.

Martha

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Rec'd a large dinnerplate sized clump of The Rocket this spring from another gardener. Divided it into 2 clumps with a third that also separated. The 2 largest ones are blooming right now. One in a rich bed with lots of compost and the other in not so rich amended clay near the downspout.

All are in part shade with less than 2 hours of direct sun. I'm in western WA, so our sun is less intense.

Most of my plants are pass alongs from other gardeners. Perhaps, there is a garden swap near you. If not, you can organize one via Garden Web.

Other part shade bloomers here:

spring bulbs
    lilies from bulbs (Asiatic & Oriental)
    sweet william
    Crocosmia Lucifer
    Astilbe
    Gold Heart bleeding heart
    hostas
    masterwort, Astrantia major
    Japanese anemone
    Siberian iris
    Stinking iris, Gladwyn iris
    Ajuga, carpet bugle, spreading groundcover, but easy care & nice blue purple spikes

smaller blooms:
    London pride saxifraga
    strawberry begonia, mother of thousands (might be annual for you)
    fumewort, Corydalis lutea profuse, but small yellow tubular blooms with delicate blue green lacy foliage
    serbian bellflower, Campanuala
    hardy geraniums
    lamiums, spotted dead nettle -- recommend only the pink, purple or white bloomers with some white on foliage (Aurea in a mixed hanging basket has attracted hummingbirds just outside my window. A definite keeper there.)
    upright fuchsia (bring in to overwinter)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks corrine1. I like such lists. Here is what I already have that you have mentioned:

spring bulbs
    sweet william (I thought this was a 'sun' plant...mine is in sun)
    Astilbe
    Gold Heart bleeding heart
    hostas
    masterwort, Astrantia major (I planted 6 of these this spring/summer)
    Japanese anemone

smaller blooms:

Corydalis lutea profuse, but small yellow tubular blooms with delicate blue green lacy foliage I have 'tons' of these around the garden
    hardy geraniums I will have to experiment as to how much shade it can take

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Glad you like the list of what blooms for us in our shady backyard.

Sweet William does in fact grow well in part sun/shade in my cool summer climate, so should bloom for you, too! Especially if your masterwort blooms you should have enough light.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists