Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fernleaf Bleeding Heart problem

Posted by bluehydrangea 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 12:47

Hi!

I recently planted 2 small Fernleaf Bleeding Hearts close to each other in our new shade garden. We added some Nature's Helper according to the directions on the bag to the good new garden soil---which was brought in, and is not native---since we know that shade plants need fairly rich organic soil. One of the Bleeding Hearts, however, soon started having problems: the lower foliage began to turn black and die, and now the whole plant is almost gone.

My question is simply this: did the one Bleeding Heart die because we didn't mix the compost in evenly enough in that spot, or is there another cause for black foliage? The dead one got almost exactly the same water and sunlight as the one that's still alive and thriving.

Just wondering!

Thanks,
-bluehydrangea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fernleaf Bleeding Heart problem

I do not know the answer to your question but I did disagree with your assumption "shade plants all need....soil". I have rather good soil due to years of oak leaves decaying. My mother in law has clay or sandy soil. I got my fern leaf bleeding hearts from her. They grow like weeds for her, self sowing all over the place. Mine have NEVER come up from seed they self sow and when I divide them, only about half survive. I water regularly, she is too frugal to ever water. It is quite possible we are over mothering this particular plant. My largest most vigerous plant is in a front bed near the house that gets more sun and less water than most of my plants. In fact I recently mulched that bed and the bleeding heart does not look happy about it.

o
RE: Fernleaf Bleeding Heart problem

arcy: Ok, obviously I now realize my assumption about rich soil for shade plants does not apply to bleeding hearts--they are at least one exception to this rule, as is evident in the fact that they are now dead, and I believe it was due to my soil amendment. I was simply looking for any other explanations for the black lower foliage, since every shade gardening book I have read instructed me to provide rich, organic, well-drained soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here