Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuts in lily of the valley leaves

Posted by mimerim mo (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 5, 04 at 12:52

i planted some lily of the valley this spring. all of the leaves have developed cuts as if they have been scratched or as if something is eating them in lines. is this an insect? what do i do?

thanks,
kelley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
I posted a photo..

I posted a photo in the Garden Clinic forum...

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of damaged lily of the valley leaves

o
RE: cuts in lily of the valley leaves

• Posted by Dagget 5/6 Central OH (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 6, 04 at 23:02

looks like how the leaves get later in the summer when they start to get dried out. I bet it is just transplant stress.

o

that makes sense. i will have to see what happens next year when they come back up. i don't plan on moving them again.

thanks!

o

I'm far from an expert, but I've had Lily-of-the-valley at three different homes during my lifetime and for 30 years they've always gotten those dry cracks once the heat of summer arrives. I was actually going to post a question whether it is OK to cut back the leaves once they start to get dry like that. I assume, though, that the plants need to maximize their photosynthesis over the summer to store energy in the rhizomes (I think that is what LOTV have). Maybe with a regimented watering schedule you could keep them from getting so dry. But, my suspicion is that this is a normal part of their life-cycle.

o

I agree with docmom. My lily-of-the-valley do the same thing.

o

Right, the only time I didn't have that problem was when I planted them under a water faucet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here