Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tami58_gw

Astilbe issues

tami58
15 years ago

This is my first year with a shade garden so I have little experience with the plants. I planted about 6 astilbe this spring & they have been doing wonderfully. There is lots of new growth. Everything is nice & green. No brown or drooping leaves. I've been waiting anxiously for them to bloom. When I saw the little blossoms forming I was so excited! But now all the blossoms are turning brown & falling off befreo they get a chance to bloom.I have no idea why. Does anyone have an answer for me?

Comments (6)

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

On all of them? Sounds like they don't like the spot they are in. they like a lot of water. I have one that did this in a triangle of three. I fed mine and gave it more water. It seemed to be getting better but I moved it just in case. Moving it that large and leafed out will probably kill it.

• tami58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The ground is mulched & I check it daily for moisture. If the ground isn't moist it gets watered. The mulch is keeping the ground damp & I thought that would be enough. I haven't needed to water them much because I thought the mulch was doing a good job.How wet do they like it?

• casi
    15 years ago

I ordered mine from Michigan Bulb, (which was a mistake, so I've been reading) I thought mine didn't even survive up but eventually they did come up. They aren't very tall and still low to the ground. They are in constant shade and the ground is always damp. I have no blooms. I was wondering if they are the kind of plant that doesn't even bloom the first year. Also, since the initial tuber was so poor, maybe it will take longer??? Can I move them now, or do I have to wait until they go dormant?

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

I don't have an answer for you, but mine also did that one year, and they were about 5 years old.

I have some blooming now, but some are just sitting there; I'll have to watch & see if they bloom or not.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi, I had the same trouble with mine last year. They were all young in a brand new bed. We had a very hot dry summer last year. There was a lot of wind and they were in a raised bed so the roots weren't really able to reach out like they should have with deep watering that they get from typical heavy rainfall. I posted a similar question last summer and was told that the dry hot conditions cause them to go dormant.

This summer is completely different with 1 week of dry weather followed by heavy soaking rains that leave standing water for days on end. They are loving this weather.

• gamekeeper
    15 years ago

They like it moist and if they had buds that failed sounds like a water issue to me the stress of establishing themselves requires more water and I use a fish product I get from High Country Nursey in N.M. when I plant a newbie and they just thrive never have expected stress.I find it well worthwhile.
    Peter