Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmellia_gw

Recurring Heuchera problem

carmellia
15 years ago

Every Heuchera I have ever planted has looked pretty sad by the time I have had it for a season or two. They seem to lift themselves out of the ground. It is the same trouble I always have with African Violets. They may start out sitting flat on the ground, but pretty soon they look as though they are sitting atop a 2 or 3 inch stalk.

I just got a Heucherella last year, and so far (knock on wood) I have not had the same problem there.

Can anyone figure out what I am trying to describe? I suspect that they look so rough because of this lifting out of the ground. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Carmellia

Comments (7)

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

I never thought of it as a problem but now that you point it out mine do this too. I always look to it as a GREAT time to divide and have not given it much thought.

• carmellia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your response. I am reassured that I am not the only one seeing this.

You probably are otherwise pleased by the performance of your heucheras. I never have been, so I thought this growth pattern I am seeing was a result of something I was doing wrong. My heucheras seem dull and lifeless. They come sprouting out glossy and vivid, only to turn dull as dirt within a few weeks. I believe my 2 heuchera are generic or at least very standard. One green leafed (spring blooming) and one maroon leafed (fall blooming). Both of them look as though they just want to be left alone to die.

The Heucherella is a bright spot in my life. So far, it is nicely colored chartreuse with a maroon cross. I very much like this plant.

If you would share any tips you have to keep yours looking good, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks. Carmellia

• mycitygarden
    15 years ago

Yes, this is a common problem with heucheras: they heave out of the garden practically, particularly with the wintertime. One way to deal with this is simply to dig them up in the spring & replant them lower so that that OLD crown is covered. Not complicated, although one extra thing to do. I guess it depends on how much you enjoy the plant, yes? The plant certainly reacts perfectly fine to this process & you are happier as a gardener--what a perfect world!

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

Do you have a few different varieties? I think it is possible the dull leaves and lifeless style is attached to your variety. I have one I like more than another. Purple Palace has shiny dark leaves. Mine look nice until they bloom then they sort of crump. Mine are surrounded by hosta, so I don't really notice. The heuchera look their best while the hosta are still unfurling after that they are camoflaged...I have come to accept each plant has its "season" (week) and the rest of the summer it is just storing up for next year...

• covella
    15 years ago

mulch them heavily around but not on the crowns in winter. they always heave. I find that a very loose soil well draining soil is what they like

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

I have this same issue with only one of my heuchera and it is the purple palace. It is the only one that is in a sunny spot and I usually just add a little extra soil around it in the spring when I am amending my beds. It is happy and healthy after that. This one I do need to water deeply to help it through the heat. I think that also has an effect on the soil settling in too much.

I do have many more; Keylime, Georgia Peach, Caramel, Green Spice and Heucherella Stoplight that don't seem to have any issues at all. They are always full and happy but are located in a dappled shade garden in a raised bed with well drained loose soil. I do separated new starts off of them each spring and replant them elsewhere in the same bed. They have been very generous with the added sprouts.

• covella
    15 years ago

At my house where they are planted in too heavy or moist soil they heave. If they are in a very loose well draining soil they don't.

Sponsored