Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Your favorite astilbes

linrose
18 years ago

I've been gardening for many years and have tried, and sometimes failed with astilbes. But this year I'm liking them more and more. The ones I put in last year sulked all season until this spring, and they are now happily growing and blooming even with our May drought.

I've decided I really like the white astilbes in my shade conditions under two huge Southern Red Oaks. They just glow. Right now Deutchland is blooming along with Peach Blossom (not white but a soft pink) which I just stuck in at the end of the season as they were in containers on my porch and refused to grow. I just picked up 'Avalanche' and 'Rock and Roll' from Home Depot for $3.33 each, hoping for more good whites.

I really like the spiky height along with my hostas. It gives good texture and form contrast.

Which ones do you like?

Comments (9)

• susan6
    18 years ago

I agree about the white ones. In addition, I've come to appreciate the Astilbe pumilla as a groundcover under shrubs. Just found a pink version which I think I'll like even more, since the pumilla is a little violet for my taste.

• Bamateacha
    18 years ago

Do Astilbes grow well in zone 8...east Central Alabama specifically?

• ego45
    18 years ago

Linrose, If 36"+ wouldn't scare you, 'Bridal Veil' is the best pure white from the tall Astilbes. Very sturdy stems for such tall plant persist well into winter and look absolutely stunning when covered in frost. Looks like you have a bloom in a middle of the January.

Bamateacha, Astilbes in general are not tolerant of the heat, even if grown in a shade and would need a constant, preferably even moisture.
    In our CT climate they could be growh in almost full sun, but i constantly read complains from Mid-west gardeners who having problem to keep them alive.
    Check with your local nurseries, not a HD, who could sell anything, and if they have a selection, not a one-two odd plants, most likely you could grow it.

• linrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is my third summer growing them here and I do have to keep them watered during summer droughts but they are in almost full shade under trees on the north side of the house and they were planted with well incorporated composted leaves and well mulched so I find they stay happy even here in southern Kentucky. We do have seasons here though so I don't know about Alabama if you don't really get a dormant period. I'd love to grow Bridal Veil, I like the tall ones - saw it yesterday - gotta go get some now - see ya!
    Linda

• breezyb
    18 years ago

This is my first time growing Astilbes. I have 2 "Vision Pink"s growing in semi-shaded whiskey barrel planters. They both have plenty of bloom spikes that are just about to open.

Anyone here grow them?

• springcherry
    18 years ago

I have astilbes, Bridal Veil, pumila and several other I can't identify (people give them to me cause of my shade) and have not made up my mind about them. I don't hate them but I don't love them either. I'm hoping as the plants get bigger and they bloom more I'll warm up to them more.

They are one of the few shade plants everyone knows about. I think (perhaps because they are easily hybridized?) they have been heavily promoted in the garden industry, and perhaps a bit over-promoted? I just, so far, find them useful but a tad boring. A big part of it may be that I don't much like the foliage.

Springcherry

• linrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm in sort of a love/hate relationship with the foliage also. I try to look for dark green shiny foliage that some of the japonicas have which is more attractive than the light green matte foliage most of the arendsiis have. You have to make sure they never dry out or you do get browning leaf edges (ugly!) However I like the delicate texture and height contrast when mixed among hostas. And they give me color as well unlike ferns which accomplish the same contrasting texture. If you are willing to site them well, give them lots of organic matter and water in droughts then I think they are well worth it.

• mauross
    18 years ago

I live in zone 7 (MD),which can get quite hot and humid. My astilbes are doing quite well, mainly because I've had good luck with adding some soil-moist (it's almost like the stuff in disposable diapers) to the soil to keep it moist. It also works great in containers.

You could find this soil additive at any good garden center.

• meremor
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if Bridal Veil the same thing as Brautschlier?

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA