Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
European wild ginger

Posted by sassafrassister none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 15:58

Hello. This is my first posting, and I need help!
I have European wild ginger growing throughout my yard. It thrives to the point where I'm always giving clumps away, however in a shady patch between my house and my vegetable garden, there is a clump that is succumbing to a black blotchy fungus-looking disease that causes the plants to rot. A foot away from this patch, separated by a slate path, is a patch of healthy specimens in an even shadier spot under some ancient rhodos.
Can anyone offer a suggestion as to what is afflicting these E. W. gingers, and advice as to whether they can be rescued or removed?
Thank you much for any help you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: European wild ginger

If you have so much of it then I would be tempted to dig up and discard the afflicted one before whatever it has spreads to other plants.

o

I'd second the above suggestion. I'm not sure what the problem is and hopefully someone can answer but if you don't find out, I would dispose of the plants with the problem.
Lucky you to have so much EWG!! I'm jealous! I want to buy some for my woodland garden but it is SO expensive around here. I just can't bring myself to pay the prices the local nurseries are asking. I usually don't flinch at pricing if it's something I really want but the European wild ginger is really pricy for a groundcover type plant :( I think the best I've seen it is $25 for a SMALL pot.
Good luck!

o

Is it a damp spring? Try some sulfur for fungus's. I just sprayed my entire gardens this morning. One year I lost everything..for the year. It all came back strong as ever the following year. Spray early and spray often!!

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 12:58

could they be planted too deeply?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here