Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxwood in shade

Posted by TaraRose z5/6 MO (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 04 at 17:54

I just bought some Wintergreen boxwood, and I was surprised to see that you can grow it in full sun to full shade! Do any of you grow boxwood in the shade? Does it get leggy or anything? I can't wait to plant it; I just love the texture of the leaves.

TR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxwood in shade

Not in full shade, but with only about three hours of sun.

o

I have two in full shade along the North wall of my house.

Both have been sadly neglected by the PO--unpruned, weeds growing up in an around them, etc. However, one is recovering, and it is fairly thick and green. The other is a little yellow and leggy, which I blame on lack of care instead of lack of sun. (I haven't done anything to rejunvenate either of them.)

o

I have three that I planted on the north side of my house. They get about 3 hours of sun a day and look great. They wintered over nicely, too.

o

Can boxwood stand moist shade? What sort of fertilizer does it need? This question is about a small enclosed terrace garden in Nashville, TN not my New Hampshire garden. Any shade ideas for an atrium garden will be appreciated!

o

Not very moist, no.

Boxwood in shade does better with an annual thinning. There is a good description here.

Here is a link that might be useful: thinning boxwood

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here