Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted: tall,skinny,late blooming something

Posted by Lotta123 Z5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 18:33

I need a tall(about 4-6'),skinny(about 3'),late blooming(jul-sep) Perennial that can take 2-3 hours of late afternoon sun and likes dry soil. I have had this empty spot for 2 years now because I can't find the right one.
I do have small kids so I cant do anything poisonous.
Thank for your help
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted: tall,skinny,late blooming something

How about Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racmosa)?

o

Excelent! I just looked it up on the web and it looks perfect for what I want to do.
Thanks so much
Carol

o

Aconite, aka monkshood.

Springcherry

o

Monkshood is poisonous. If you have young kiddos you'll wish to avoid it.

o

Its an annual but sometimes self-seeds -- Love lies bleeding. A tall redhead with long legs that flowers from June till frost.

Aconite is an easy plant that you rarely have to do stuff to so the fact that it is poisonous isnt that big a deal. Just put something less toxic in front of it so that its not too accessable. Many common garden plants are poisonous. Do you grow foxglove? Castor bean? I think maybe the hellebores. Anything in the mandrake family. Just wear gloves when you plant it.

Springcherry

o

• Posted by KarinL Vancouver Z8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 10:48

Try japanese anemones - the tall, fall-blooming ones. Light pink and dark, or they come in white. The single flowered ones are the prettiest. One caution: they will always grow where you plant them, so be sure you want them there (every bit of root left behind will resprout). Water through their first summer if you plant this late in the year, but otherwise they take it pretty darn dry (that goes with having those deep, persistent roots,I guess). I'm afraid I don't know how hardy these are.

I've never planted monkshood because I have kids too. Who needs the anxiety? Other plants are poisonous too, I grant, but in terms of degree of poison, this one is too risky to have around by my estimation. It also blooms right when kids are most likely to be outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here