Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lavender in Shade

Posted by Lauraleye Coastal Central CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 19:21

I'm struggling with partial sun and lavender . . . There are a total of 5 oak trees and one incense cedar on our small lot, which is also heavily shaded by two monterey cypress trees in neighboring lots.

Right now, I have a hedge of licorice plant in the front garden with two rows of lavendula dentata behind it. The licorice is thriving and its silver-sage color looks beautiful with the lavender and our house colors. But I'm struggling to keep the lavender alive under the oaks.I have a total of 10 lavender plants. 6 are thriving (though not flowering profusely) and the 4 in the more shaded side of the plot are stunted. Will watering/feeding techniques help at all? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lavender in Shade

My experience in NJ has been that lavender wants sun and lots of it and seriously excellent drainage; they'll take crappy soil if the drainage is good. I would check the drainage under the oak tree - if the soil is heavy, you may need to move the plants.

o

Feeding will not make up for the lack of sun, may make it worse as Lavender also does not like to be fertilized and does not do well in moist/wet soil.

Lavender needs full sun and dry well drained soil. You will need to remove trees or find a different plant with the same colours that will grow in shade.

o

The lavender might do better in clay pots, but would still prefer full sun.

Salvia might be a substitute if you get at least 4-6 hours of direct sun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia nemorosa 'East Friesland'

o

I am sorry, but lavender dies in the shade. Some people surround their plants with reflective surfaces to allow the leaves get more light. Well, it does not work with lavender. (It helped me with some annuals, just to get them going.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here