Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantinellen

Need Advice For Problem Area

plantinellen
13 years ago

The east side of our house, which is shaded by woods maybe only 10 feet or so away from the building, is very barren -- just a 2-foot-wide strip of mulch alongside the house.

We inherited a lot of landscaping problems from the previous owners and have very slowly been working our way around the house. Even though this east side isn't visible to neighbors and doesn't even get a lot of foot traffic from us, I've been frustrated with this little corridor and the bare, ugly mulched strip alongside the house. I got an inspiration to plant groups of wildflowers in this strip, and was all excited about that, until I tried to dig down into the mulch and discovered...a solid, deep layer of landscaping rocks.

I'm disappointed, of course, but am now wondering if I can't at least add a few interesting planters of shade plants. The south end of the strip gets somewhat more sunlight (in the morning) than the rest of the space. Any ideas about container plants that might do well in medium/dappled shade?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA