Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somba75

Whats wrong with my Bleeding Heart?

somba75
18 years ago

Hi I bought a bareroot bleeding heart/dicentra back in March. I planted it in my shade garden right away and for the next three weeks after that it was continuously producing little leaves and stems. Then It just stopped. Right now it is only about 4 inces high and has been that way since the beginning of April. Is this normal when growing from bareroot? It is in a very shady, moist area. I have ferns, baby's tears and begonias around it and they are all thriving. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (15)

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Are they dying or just not growing as fast? Bleeding heart's main "growth" and boom time is in the spring..... some even go dormant when heat of summer arrives.

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

It may. In dry hot summers or where there's not enough shade it often goes dormant. :)

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Mine are in the sun but they 'will' eventually go dormant. Keeping it nice and wet (but well drained soil) keeps it going a bit longer in summer. We've had a week of 90degree temps this week but so far they are doing ok even though it's baking hot. I expect they will go dormant soon though. Mine have some sort of tunneling bug or worm cuz you can see the squiggly lines where the pest has gone through the leaf but I was told it's more of a harm to the "esthetics" of the plant rather than any harm to the life of the plant so I've just left it alone and it will come back again next year just fine.

Barb

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

it's a bit late in the season for it- it's too juicy a plant to be putting out new growth in this kind of heat (we're in the 90's here in PA, after a may that never topped 65 degrees!)

mine have given up, though they may revive when the heat wave breaks- but then they'll give up all over again when the heat comes back.

it will spend the summer (if you keep it moist and shaded) making roots- and you will be STUNNED at what it does next spring (or rainy season, where you are ;)

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

It is just young. Next year will be better. Could take three years to bloom.

• klavier
    18 years ago

I give it until next spring to bloom. I have many very large plants and all of a sudden they just started seeding like crazy. They usualy take one full year from germination to bloom for me. Your plant will be a lot bigger next year!
    Don't dispare! Yours looks fine.
    {{gwi:1254642}}

• aspringer
    18 years ago

I agree, don't worry about it. I got a bareroot plant that didn't show up at all for about two years; now it's taking off. Put it in good soil and water it occasionally.

• calla_lilly96
    18 years ago

2 years ago I bought a bareroot bleeding heart planted it where it would get about 3 hours of sun it grew fine for a month or so then all the leave turned yellow and died back it didn't come back last year so this year I'm trying it again I bought 2 bareroot about 3 months ago planted them in full shade they both came up fine and now they are turning yellow what could this?

thanks,
    calla

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Bleeding heart has a short season compared to other perennials, they all turn yellow and die back but they aren't dead, they just go dormant and come back again in the spring.

My bleeding hearts are only in their second year and they have grown to 3'x3' and have had TONS of blooms...very pretty perennial that is easily twice the size it was the year before.

Good luck with your second try at it.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

• calla_lilly96
    18 years ago

thanks for the hope barb, I didn't think of them going dormant so soon in the summer I'll keep my fingers crossed for next spring!

thanks,
    calla

• dipti
    13 years ago

My bleeding heart was done.... didn't have a single leaf or anything. But today after like 6/7 months, its showing tiny leaf buds!!!! I am amazed.... All I did was change its location so that it would get a little more sunlight ( I live in southern part of India where we are being baked in summer here) and viola!!!!! I am happy!!!!!!!!!!

• kmkare
    9 years ago

I put a bleeding heart in the shade under a mulberry tree in April or May. It was a luminous chartreuse green almost all summer. In the past month or so it has gradually turned yellow and now it is almost completely gone. It has all turned brown and died back except for a few very tiny leaves on one stem and that one looks like it's headed in the same direction. Is this normal? It is next to my huge elephant ears. It seems that as they got lusher, my bleeding heart got punier. Could it be the mulberry tree? I also planted a beautiful Siberian bugloss close by which thrived at first. Then quit blooming and then one day I went out and the entire plant was black and dead. All are in total shade. Can anyone help? Thanks.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

The classic bleeding heart, Dicentra spectabilis, goes dormant in mid to late summer. IME, the golden form ('Goldheart') is slower to do so than the green leafed form but at this time of the season, I would expect them to look exactly as you described. In fact, I just cut one back to the ground a week or two ago.

Not sure why the Brunnera died.......Are you making sure these plants got enough water through the summer? Often when establishing plants under the canopies of trees, extra water needs to be applied during the first couple of growing seasons to offset the competition from tree roots. Both the dicentra and the brunnera are quite drought tolerant once established, but that doesn't happen immediately.

• isabellawoodridge
    5 years ago

I have lost two bleeding hearts they do great and then the next year they don’t come back the roots are soggy and mush why why why

Sponsored