Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

Privacy hedge for shady area

lisa2004
14 years ago

I've posted bits and pieces of this problem on other forums, I wish I had thought of this one first.

I want to plant a hedge, approx 6' high, along my property to provide privacy and also to keep my dogs in my yard. I recently ordered 40 privet plants (in a moment of insanity). They will be delivered in the fall. My yard is quite large... about 1.5 acres, so some of the area where I want to plant the hedge is part sun and some is mostly shade. From searching I've done it seems that privet will not do well in shade. Anyone disagree? (For the record, privet does not seem to be invasive in my area).

So, now I'm wondering... could I use the privet in the sunnier areas and maybe boxwood in the shady areas? Does boxwood tolerate dappled shade conditions? Or is there something better? I don't want rhododendrons, azaleas or mountian laurel because they are not dense enough and because I've really never liked them. I already paid for the privet so I have to figure them into the plan.

I've read that hollys make good hedges but I'm not sure what kind grows 6' high or if they tolerate shade... also, they may be too expensive.

Any help is appreciated. Please keep in mind that cost per plant is a factor just because of the number of plants I need.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH