Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I grow in my shade house?

Posted by ledouchebag none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 1:10

Hi all, I have an area with a garden bed along the south side of my house that gets full sun from early morning to late afternoon. In summer the sun scorches the crap out of everything I plant not to mention, being long and narrow, it also acts like a wind tunnel so plants dry out as well. So I came up with the idea of covering it in with shade cloth. The question I have is: if I use 50% white shade cloth, will the area be considered deep shade, in which case I have to put in ferns and hostas what not, or will it be considered open shade (because of the tremendous amount of light that will still get through from the sun being directly overhead all day), and does this mean I'll have the opportunity to put in more sun loving plants? If so, which plants like this sort of environment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I grow in my shade house?

Are you in the tropical climate or temporate climate of Australia?

Wouldn't it be easier to plant something that is heat and drought tolerant that is native to your area?

If you shade the area with 50% white cloth, I think the area will probably be bright shade but not dark shade.

o

Hi,

I'm in temperate, temps range from about 3ºC (37ºC) to 45º (113ºC). Natives grow fine in my front yard, gardenias grow there with protection, azaleas burn but survive. I guess my point was: By putting shade cloth over an exposed area with bright sun and searing winds, cold and hot, what does that effectively change the environment under the cloth into? I mean, if I look at plant labels and it says full sun to partial shade, that's talking about plants in the open, isn't it? But how do all these labels apply to artificial environments? I guess I should just experiment first, post results later.

o

I think experimenting is your best bet. I find that plants that are normally shade loving can tolerate sun, but plants that need sun don't perform well in shade. Make sure you mulch heavily and water deeply, especially as new plants are getting established.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here