Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedwig_gw

edible garden in shade

hedwig
18 years ago

Hello, we just moved in a house with garden. In our area there are only supermarkets to by veggies, I begun to plant an edible garden. Our site is a south-slope (in Queeslan/Aus.)and in the backyard there are trees in our and in the neighbour gardens. The frontyard is east-orientated, the backyard west-orientated. In the backyard there is a shady patch (now it is shady; we have winter), but I can see the sky (not trees) when I move up my head. The climate is subtropical.

1. Can I grow vegetables in the patch in our backjard, and which vegetables will grow there?

2. What is full sun? The frontyard has about four or five hours sun a day , can I grow tomatos, zuchinis, melons and stuff like that?

3. Is it possible to grow any fruit or vegetables under trees?

I do not know the climate here because we moved from Europe!

And - as you shurely see, I had'nt a garden bevore.

Thank you for answering!

Comments (4)

• karinl
    18 years ago

I can't help you much with vegetables, but berries, especially raspberries, will grow and bear fruit in quite a bit of shade.

• daisy_ny6
    18 years ago

Australia is quite different from North America (which is all I know), climate-wise. Among other things, the sunlight is far more intense because of the latitude, so where I would need 8 hours direct sun, you may do very well with 4.

There is a dedicated Australian forum for edibles - you'd probably find the best advice there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oz Edibles

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

If Raspberries do not need FULL meaning 6-8 hours of sun then I am doing something wrong becuase mine are not producing. My boss the green house owner told me full means 6-8. Some plants do ok with 4-6. Vegetables, will be slow to grow with less then six, so it woudl depend on the length of your season. Here in MN USA I have only 12-16 weeks so my tomatoes have to be in 6 to get anything. A local greenhouse would be most helpful for what your climate will sustain.
    Good-luck,

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    18 years ago

Lettuce might work especially the kind you can cut the individual leaves off, not head lettuce. I read to start the seedlings in more sun (so they will grow faster) then wean them into the more shade area. Broccoli might do with less sun too.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH