Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edible garden in shade

Posted by Hedwig QLD Brisbane (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 10:07

Hello, we just moved in a house with garden. In our area there are only supermarkets to by veggies, I begun to plant an edible garden. Our site is a south-slope (in Queeslan/Aus.)and in the backyard there are trees in our and in the neighbour gardens. The frontyard is east-orientated, the backyard west-orientated. In the backyard there is a shady patch (now it is shady; we have winter), but I can see the sky (not trees) when I move up my head. The climate is subtropical.
1. Can I grow vegetables in the patch in our backjard, and which vegetables will grow there?
2. What is full sun? The frontyard has about four or five hours sun a day , can I grow tomatos, zuchinis, melons and stuff like that?
3. Is it possible to grow any fruit or vegetables under trees?

I do not know the climate here because we moved from Europe!
And - as you shurely see, I had'nt a garden bevore.
Thank you for answering!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edible garden in shade

• Posted by KarinL Vancouver Z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 13:44

I can't help you much with vegetables, but berries, especially raspberries, will grow and bear fruit in quite a bit of shade.

o

Australia is quite different from North America (which is all I know), climate-wise. Among other things, the sunlight is far more intense because of the latitude, so where I would need 8 hours direct sun, you may do very well with 4.

There is a dedicated Australian forum for edibles - you'd probably find the best advice there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oz Edibles

o

If Raspberries do not need FULL meaning 6-8 hours of sun then I am doing something wrong becuase mine are not producing. My boss the green house owner told me full means 6-8. Some plants do ok with 4-6. Vegetables, will be slow to grow with less then six, so it woudl depend on the length of your season. Here in MN USA I have only 12-16 weeks so my tomatoes have to be in 6 to get anything. A local greenhouse would be most helpful for what your climate will sustain.
Good-luck,

o

Lettuce might work especially the kind you can cut the individual leaves off, not head lettuce. I read to start the seedlings in more sun (so they will grow faster) then wean them into the more shade area. Broccoli might do with less sun too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here