Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Larger flowers?

Posted by gracie01 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 11:38

I have a shade bed under 2 mature ash trees. I have astillbe and hostas planted there, filling in with impatiens for some color. Are there any shade plants with larger flowers? My hostas get lost from the road. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Larger flowers?

Stylophorum diphyllum has 3-4" bright yellow flowers off & on all summer (heaviest bloom is in spring), Actaea/Cimicifuga racemosa has large bottle-brush white flowers that stand out well in shade, blooming in July or August.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o
Forgot 1

How could I forget Japanese anemones!

o

Thanks so much. If you think of anything else, please post.

o

I have coneflower blooming right next to my astilbe and hosta, monarda just a dash over where it takes advantage of a bit more dappled sun than shade, goatsbeard which gets white plumes in late spring/early summer, yellow loosestrife (which doesn't get much bloom in shade, but is nice and bushy with a large variegated presence.

o

Lobelia Cardinalis gives a PUNCH of colour and is blooming right now until October.

I also have Rose Mallow blooming in the shade and the colours are quite spectacular.

Most daylilies will take a fair bit of shade and still bloom with large colourful blooms.

Firewitch Dianthus and other closely related dianthus will give a big punch but are low to the ground so that may not be what you are looking for.

Echinaceas (wide colour variety now avail) so well in a fair bit of shade, bloom mid to late summmer and early autumn and the goldfinches LOVE it.

My large iris do well in the shade and are a rich punch of colour in spring/early summer.

I also have Asclepias Tuberosa in the shade and it blooms just fine with it's neon orange blooms that the bees and butterflies can't resist. Blooms mid summer to early fall.

Another low growing punch of colour for shade is Pulmonaria of which there are many nice varieties and colours to choose from now. Mine is the old "sacharata" but there is strawberry splash which is similar, a white variety and several others.

My butterfly bushes, do pretty nicely in the shade and have many large blooms. I have the "Royal Red" variety which is actually more "Maroon" than red and I also have the purple "Davidii" and the blue/purple "Nanho blue" which is nice for it's misty green foliage. Nanho blue is smaller and more delicate looking but the "Royal Red" and "Davidii" can grow to be white good sized, well behaved shrubs.

o

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look up the ones I'm not familiar with. Monarda & Echinaceas & butterfly bushes were a bust for me in the shade. Cardinal flower died after one year. Yes, I have some purple Irisi that I could put there for spring color; thanks for reminding me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here