Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathybru

Planning a new garden, but have a question...

cathybru
19 years ago

We've finally bought a house I love and never plan to move from. I don't have a huge yard but it is fairly decent sized. I would like to put in a shade garden along the back half of the yard. This area I would consider to be partial to full shade.

Now for the question. There are three trees in the area I would like to plant in and I want to keep the trees. They are well established, mature trees. Two of the trees are actually twined around each other so are effectively one tree. The problem is that there are large roots which are breaking ground that I do not want to damage (not to mention, I think it would be a pain to dig around). My plan was to build a raised bed on top of the soil around the trees and use this to plant in. Will this damage the trees? My husband thinks that this will shock the trees and might kill them.

How deep would you recommend the raised bed be made? I was thinking 12 inches would be plenty as I wouldn't be putting bottoms on the bed, I just want to give the plants some good soil to establish themselves. I have plenty of compost, leaves, mulch etc.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cathy

Comment (1)

Sponsored