Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valeriehaz

Shade plants

valeriehaz
12 years ago

I have an area that is full shade, very small amount of dappled sun as it is under an oak tree. I have hakonechloa and a bleeding heart valentine (which are doing great) as is my hosta; however, my coral bells do not look so good. Is there a comparable (to the coral bell) shade plant to create a drift with that I am not thinking of? Thank you!

Comments (6)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Without knowing where you are, it's not possible to make suggestions for you since not all plants can survive in all places. You can find your zone here. If you include it in your profile info, it will show up next to your name automatically when you say something on these forums. Most people include their state, too. Next to my name you see 8b AL, which means zone 8b and I'm in Alabama.

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

You might want to look at the various kinds of Corydalis. Or another type of Dicentra.

You didn't say which season you want the flower display in: Corydalis tends to flower over early summer. The flower colours can be white, yellow, pink, blue, or purple-blue and the foliage is fine like a maidenhair fern.

Another possiblity is Polygonatum/Solomon's seal but it can be a bit thuggish. Astrantia might be a possible, although it's taller than the Heuchera. Or Pulmonaria - particularly those with silvery leaves; or Brunnera - depending on the leaf colour of your Hosta, of course.

If you're in zone 8b/9 you could consider Saxifraga stolonifera aka mother of thousands. You'd get the same sort of airy flowers as you do with Heuchera.

Some of the smaller-growing Epimediums might give you the effect you're after, too. They'd be quite hardy in the drier soils under the tree.

There's Lamium. But. Most of them have Rule the World tendencies. As does Vinca.

• valeriehaz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am learning my way around here, I have updated my zone to 5b and my state to OH. I am not looking for a flower any particular time, simply a low plant that will survive shade. Thank you for the suggestions, this weekend the coral bells are out. I am going to take the suggestions listed and learn more to see if any of these are an option for my area.

12 years ago

Cool, I used to live in z5b in OH, too. For "low shade" perennials, I liked Veronica, Lamium, Bergenia cordifolia, Ajuga chocolate chip, trillium, myosotis forget-me-nots, Brunera.

I can see that you added your zone to your profile, so don't know why it's not showing up next to your last entry. This old forum has arthritis sometimes I think...? It's not personal, though, it does that to a lot of people for no known reason.

Also wanted to suggest that you may find it's a lot less frustrating to approach it from the "what's available" standpoint. If you can't find the plants you've taken the time to research and decide you want, you've wasted a lot of time and are left with frustration. Plants should be displayed with the shade-lovers together, so know that as you're shopping. Finding out what is actually available is usually my first step.

• valeriehaz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the insight, I find learning about all these different varity of plants and flowers is relaxing and interesting. I am going to the nursery this weekend to see what is out there and maybe something will match some of my research. I live the Veronica very much. The major problem I now face is I need more room for all these varieties I want to display :)

12 years ago

LOL! We all know how you feel. Have fun shopping!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting