Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristie73

shade or do I have some sun?

kristie73
19 years ago

I'm new to gardening and it's been 2 years now in my home. I'm slowly landscaping my backyard as it was all dirt and weeds when I moved in. I thought I was paying attention to where the sun hits in my yard, but as the seasons go the sun changes places.

How do you gardeners pay attention and remember all year long where the sun will hit in your yard. I thought the side of my house/fence had mostly shade, so I planted Lobelia. Poor things. I was wrong, the side of my house/fence gets a good amount of sun. I could have swore it was mostly shade.

Also I have another spot. Which I thought I was watching and it gets half sun, half shade. I was planning to plant bulbs there, but I don't think it's getting enough sun now. I think now it's getting more shade than sun due to a tree in the neighbors yard. But in the winter, it's probably really sunny.

How do I determine what to plant, if sometimes in the winter it many be sunny, but in the summer it's shady or vice versa?

Also I planted an avocado tree, which gets a lot of shade in the morning from a neighboring tree, but around noon, the sun hits the tree until the sun sets. So I hope it's getting enough sun there, but I can't remember what it's like in the winter.

Does anyone have any tips on figuring out your sun/shade in your yard year long without waiting and paying attention all year?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner