Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange flowering plants for shade?

Posted by mary_228 z5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 19:35

My decorator was helping me with the colors on the exterior of my house and recommeded the above to make the whole color scheme look best(along with yellow and a splash of white). I'm not much of a gardener, so I'm hoping you folks can advise me.

This is for the area around my patio and lower deck. Lot of tables are available for planters. Heavy shade conditions when the trees have leafed out and the ground below is quite dry. (Where does the rain go?)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange flowering plants for shade?

• Posted by von1 z4 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 23:44

There is an orange blooming epimedium-WARLEYENSE.
They like dry shade and the plant is attractive after the tiny flowers have gone by in the Spring. Check out plant delights site for some of them, also Garden Vision. I have ordered from Garden Vision in the past.
Von

o

You will likely get the best selection of flowers in this color from annuals or tender perennials sold as annuals - Fuchsia 'Gardenmeister' and its clones, impatiens, mimulus (monkey flower) all offer pretty intensely orange flowers and are shade tolerant. Orange or rusty/coppery colored coleus would work also.

o

Since flowers come and go, you might want to try some of the new heucheras with orange foliage (marmalade, peach flambe) -- perhaps in containers if you don't plan to water the area beneath the trees. Annuals will need to be watered too if planted there. My Princess Irene tulips (orange) have done amazingly well under deciduous trees (returning for the 3rd year this spring) and don't need to be watered during the summer.

o

I have a deciduous azalea under all day dappled high oak trees... fairly dry. It flowers pretty well, with big rhodo sized bright orange flowers. Looks like this attached pic (not mine). I may be able to find the tag if you were interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: orange azalea pic

o

Thank you for all the suggestions! I look forward to working some of these into my plans for next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here