Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for shade plants in Alaska

Posted by eskimo_alaska z2 AK (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 04 at 21:11

I am trying to help my Father-in-law come up with some plant ideas for the shady side of his house. He has built a very nice raised bed that is connected to the house and my Mother-in-Law planted tulips there. Not one of them came up, so they decided to look for something better suited.

We live in the South-Central area of Alaska (they are specifically in a town called Talkeetna.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have not done much shade gardening so am not sure what to try.

Vickey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for shade plants in Alaska

The link below was posted on a thread on another forum - it looks like it would be useful to you. Some of the shade plants listed include:
Baneberry
Dicentra (bleeding heart)
Columbine
Heuchera (Coral bells - which surprised me !)
Wild geranium
variegated goutweed - very invasive - doesn't surprise me that even an Alska winter won't kill the stuff!

Bulbs included Scilla and Tarda tulips (small botanical tulips - very pretty...)

All the ferns they list would grow in shade. In the groundcover list, lily-of-the valley grows in shade. Bunchberries will too but not flower much.

Keep in mind that raised beds freeze earlier and thaw faster than beds in the ground. Things on the edge of the bed are more likely to be damaged than things against the house. It would be worth it in late fall to to stack bales of straw against the outer edge of the bed to add extra insulation to protect agaist feezing too hard and damage from freeze/thaw cycles.

A good local nursery would be a good source of information about what will do well in shade in the area. Contacting a local garden society would also be a good idea.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for Alaska

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here