Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this not enough shade?

Posted by crescent_moon virginia 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 04 at 21:41

Hi everyone,
I think I have miscalculated how much shade I have in my front bed.It's west facing,but with lots of mature oaks,pines and cedars.I have 7 coral bells (mint frost),3
foamflowers,1 barrenwort and 2 heuchera that are very dark purple.Also 5 songbird columbines.They were all put in this
spring and all of them have had browned leaves and burnt
edges.I have 2 areas where I could possibly move them.
1)the north side of my house which faces deep woods
2)behind our 2 car garage.Both of these areas are deep shade;I mean not a sliver of sunlight on either areas.
Would that be too much shade?Any ideas?thanks,
Denah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this not enough shade?

Sounds more like a water problem than a sun problem. The coral bells will grow well with quite a bit of sun. I don't have any of the others listed.

o

the columbines can tolerate some sun too - i have some that grow prosper and do quite well in full sun. it might be a water problem - too much water - not enough water - poor drainage? dig down into the soil and see what you have for moisture say 3"-6" deep.

o

Hi,
I stuck my finger down in the soil about 3 inches or so.It
feels rather moist,but not too wet.I did amend the bed with a lot of compost last fall before I planted it this spring.
I don't think it's a drainage problem;the bed slopes down slightly.Any more ideas?Thank You!
Denah

o

It doesn't feel like a sun problem to me either. I have all of those West facing under a Red Oak. They do well.

I'm less confident of the COmumbines, but all the rest will do ok in deep shade. Foam flower will flower a bit less, Coral Bells will turn a bit greener.

o

If you amended your soil, is it possible that you overdid your fertilizer? That would cause the leaves to brown. Just a thought. Shel

o

Hi Shel,
Overdid the fertilizer?I never even considered that.We have
pink clay on top of gray clay here at our house.I just thought it needed all the help it could get!
Denah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here