Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any herbs..... useful ones preferably for shade ??????

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 04 at 23:13

Any useful herbs for growin gin shade ?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any herbs..... useful ones preferably for shade ??????

• Posted by CcDry z9,WarmSfArea_1 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 30, 04 at 3:19

maybe zingiber relatives? (gingers, galangals..)

o

Hi. Since our backyard is mostly shade-I've learned a few! Angelica, which tastes like licorice and are edible-Lemon Balm, which is a fast grower and spreader, good in tea-Mints, tea or cold drinks-Lovage, which is kindof like celery-Parsley-Tarragon, which can get straggly looking and is another licorice flavored herb. I am sure there are more and you will get great feedback and suggestions. These are ones that I have. Have fun! Tonia

o

Spearmint, chocolate mint, peppermint, orange mint--do you see a pattern developing here? But rampant doesn't even begin to describe the growth of these plants, so you might want to plant in plastic pots with the bottom cut out to contain them. Best thing about them? Smelling them when the rain hits them!

o

I grow oregano and tarragon as well as summer savory in the shade. Also sage in part shade. Cammomile will grow in part shade as will all of the thymes. Most herbs are pretty adaptable.
Diane

o

I'll add chives and rosemary to the list - and parsley. Basil does ok - just doesn't get as big as in full sun.

o

Will pennyroyal grow in shade? Filtered sun at best, very moist soil...

o

• Posted by carex USDA zone 8a (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 9, 04 at 12:24

I have sweet marjoram in the shade and it is doing much better than it was in the sun. Been very hot here so..

o

My pennyroyal lasted one season, didn't come back. Ditto for chamomile. The cilantro attracted every slug in a three mile radius, and the rosemary has been exactly the same size since I planted it two years ago. This is in my two hours full sun a day spot.

Lemon balm is growing like crazy; I have to harvest it (nearly mow it) every couple of weeks to keep it under control. Mint grows for me, but doesn't spread too aggressively in the really shady corner.

If anyone has any other thoughts, I'm excited to hear them! My herb garden is the only thing I miss about being tucked into the redwoods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here