Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants in a window well?

Posted by beckerster 6 (michigan) (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 23:23

Ok, this maybe a really weird question...but can i plant things in a window well?

im sick and tired of living in a sterile basement and looking at this all day:
Photobucket

i need a little green. then i saw a seedling that grew to 8 or 9 inches in the window well, and thought to myself "why i couldnt i do that?"

problem is, the well cover is a frosted piece of acrylic instead of a grating of some sort.

so there is little sun and little water that get in.

can anyone suggest a low water, low sun plant i can plant?
something that wont grow over 20ish inches (the height of the well).

Pweeeeeeease? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants in a window well?

I don't think there is a plant that would live in that sort of environment, even if it did it would make the basement dark because it would cut off all light. If you don't like looking at it why not paint the inside of the well or decorate the space with a gazing ball or some other garden art that will give you something to look at but not cut off the light

o

My sister-in-law is talking about doing something similar, but I think the window well will be about half as high as the ones you're showing. She will need to open her window in order to water the plants, but the clear plastic protector should work as a sort of greenhouse. She's going to try some herbs like that. I'll let you know how it works out!

o

I attended a high-end garden tour, this weekend, and saw some very creative and artistic gardens. At least two of the homes we toured had plants in their window wells. The plants I saw were hostas, but there were other shade plants used. It was beautifuul and caught everyone's comments and attention. I say go for it!!
-Sprout

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here