Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to hide an unattractive fence.

Posted by trustmissy 5MidMich (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 1:27

My neighbor is putting up a 6' wood privacy fence in his front yard, right on the property line. The bad looking side is facing my yard. This is really going to affect the "Curb Appeal" of my yard. I am considering putting several evergreen (for 4 season coverage) trees or shrubs, perhaps in a raised bed. The area is between two huge maple trees and a blue spruce is right behind the fence in the neighbor's yard. The area I will have to cover is shady, about 30' long and 4ft deep. My driveway is on the other side of the proposed bed.

Any suggestions to help me with plant design and selection?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to hide an unattractive fence.

I supposed you have tried a friendly, reasonable approach with the neighbor, voicing your objections? You didn't indicate if you had also checked the local codes to determine if such a tall fence is permitted in front of a residence. In many locations, the height of a fence is limited to 4' between the front building line of the residence and the street and must not extend across any right of way for underground utility lines. Also, in many states, any permanent structure placed ON the property line, legally becomes jointly owned by the two parties involved.
If all those options fail, you could paint your side of the fence with flat black paint before planting evergreens in front of it. It will become almost unnoticeable.
Rb

o
RE: Need to hide an unattractive fence.

I agree with Razorback that you should check zoning on this fence--in addition to the other issues that Rb raises, the ugly side of the fence is often required to be on your neighbor's side, not yours.
You might consider climbing hydranga--these will take a while to mature, but do provide some winter interest as well with their hairy, knarly stems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here