Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jugglerguy

Red leaves for shade?

jugglerguy
19 years ago

Hi, I have a new shade garden that I just put in this spring. I focused on nice foliage for this garden and didn't worry at all about the flowers. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, but it needs some red leaves for contrast. Most of the stuff I've planted is green or variegated. I do have a black snakeroot (cimicifuga) that gives some color, but I can't use more because they're too big. I have three basement windows behind the garden. The stems of my red astilbe look really good. I would like to plant heucheras but they all seem to be for partial shade to sun, but this is the north side of my house so there's no direct sun on most of it.

So what other plants have dark or red leaves, grow in the shade in zone 4 or 5? I have topsoil/compost over sand with a mulch of chopped leaves. It would be nice if the deer didn't like it either. Gosh I'm picky!

-Rob

Comments (9)

• jaysonmc
    19 years ago

You could probably grow Lobelia cardinalis 'Queen Victoria'
    in zone 4 in the shade. It has pretty red foliage, however you probably wouldn't get many flowers.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Many of the purple and red leaf plants turn green in heavy shade. Try red leaf caladiums. There is also a new tri-color foliage astilbe out--I have seen it, but couldn't recall its name or find it on the internet for you. Keep an eye out for it in nurserys.

• arcy_gw
    19 years ago

I have an Autumn fern I love. The new foliage is a rust/red. Here in ZN 3/4 it is questionable how long it will be around but I bet you could grow one easily.

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

There's a fern: Athyrium'Ursula's Red' which is winter dormant and is reddish with silver. The silvering goes green over the season but the stems stay red.

There's also Saxifrage fortunei which does come with 'mahogany' coloured leaves and seems to be semi-dormant over winter. As you can see from my own posting on this site, I'm not quite sure of ongoing maintenance. When it's new, though, the leaves are shiny and the flowers similar to a Heuchera. About the same size in height/spread, too. There's more than one sort. You may need a heavy mulch in winter to keep it in your area.

• GeeDavey
    19 years ago

I've got a sizable shade garden facing north with similar problems.

Red shade plants are a tall order when you think about plant chemistry. Red leaved plants have less chlorophyll to make food so they have to be more efficient. Some adapt, but it's hard to be sooo efficient that they can live in shade without much green.

That said, my guess is you have more light than you think. I would give heucheras a chance. And don't give up on one type. My plain old palace purple does will on the north side of my house. I'm getting more for my shade garden (and underplanting them with creeping jenny for effect.)

I tried lobelia queen victoria. All 7 plants ended up on the ground in a leggy, sprawling mess. They needed more sun perhaps. I'm taking them out.

There are good fall red shrubs for shade but you don't have the room.

You could do this easily for $20 bucks a year by buying some coleus annuals every spring. It'll do wonders for the green garden.

On one side of our shade bed, we have a small shed with two planter boxes. I arranged silk flowers of red annual geraniums and pink astilbes. They look very real and brighten a corner of the garden all year. They aren't cheap, but should last. You can get them a high-end garden center/florists.

• dwk001
    19 years ago

There's a variety of Impatiens I've grown quite fond of for use in my heavy-shade areas that has very dark leaves and vivid orange flowers that "light up" those shady spots--it's called 'Art Deco' or just 'Deco.' It can also be used in quite a bit of sun, where it flowers even more profusely.

• AlcesB
    19 years ago

If you don't mind using tender perennials, try Coleus and Altenanthera. Both are availavable with dark red foliage and are easy to overwinter under lights.

• jugglerguy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

• TeriA_NY
    19 years ago

What about Heuchera (Coral Bells). I planted my first one this year. The variety I have has green leaves, but some varieties have burgundy leaves. One variety has orange like leaves.

Sponsored